It was the perfect day for cookies.
Yesterday could not have been better for a warm, gooey, meltingly-delicious gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe in any way. It was cool, rainy, dark, and lovely; just the sort of day that calls for a thick comforter, a good book or movie, and a warm batch of happiness.
I’m absolutely loving watching the season change to fall here in Napa. The sky gets darker, the air gets that magical chill that you can feel all the way into your marrow when the wind really blows, and the colors become absolutely spectacular. Rows and rows of red and gold in the vineyards, plus (because this is Napa…), there are flowers blooming in every yard. There are roses peeking out over fences and around corners, and the little lemons on my tree are starting to get fat. Add all of the fun Halloween decorations to that, and you’ve got some magic!
These cookies were just what I wanted on a lazy day like yesterday! It was an absolutely perfect gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe. Gooey and crispy at the same time, soft and warm chocolate chips, plus just a hint of cinnamon that you could smell if you really took the time to inhale that amazing fragrance before digging in. I can’t recommend this gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe enough!
There have been a few recipes where I’ve used gluten-free flour mixes and xanthan gum, including Warm, Gooey, and Crumbly Sour Cream Best Banana Bread Ever, Gluten-Free Pasta That Actually Works, and Mini-Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins. It’s a really good idea to keep some on hand if you’re trying to avoid gluten! Xanthan gum does look pretty expensive when you buy it (It’s available on Amazon, of course and runs around $7-8 for about 8 oz.), but you only use a tiny bit at a time and it will keep practically forever in the fridge! It’s just so helpful to have a few gluten-free staples on hand. If you’re looking for more suggestions on what kinds of gluten-free ingredients to have around, check out my recommendations page!
The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Ever.
- 1½ cup + 2 Tbs GF baking flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter, melted, but not hot
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs whole milk
- 1⅓ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until totally combined and smooth. Take your time and really cream them!
- Add the milk, vanilla, and egg to the butter and sugar mix and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the baking soda, salt, xanthin gum, cinnamon, and flour together.
- Using a spatula, mix the flour mix into the wet ingredients. You want to make a soft, fully mixed dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, cover, and let rest for 30-45 minutes. (Your dough will be soft and sticky. Don't worry!)
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and line two sheet trays with parchment paper. Drop about 1½ Tbs of dough spaced at least 2 inches apart onto the parchment paper. Bake cookies, 1 tray at a time, until the edges are set (but not the centers), and the cookies have started to get golden brown., about 11-13 minutes, rotating the tray about halfway through baking.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the sheet trays, and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Dig in!