It was an absolutely perfect day for this unbelievably healthy carrot soup!
This is that perfect time of year when healthy soup recipes just can’t be beat. Rich, warm, and velvety (but still magically vegan, gluten- and dairy-free!), with a little sunflower seed crunch and pickled pepper spiciness, this was the perfect soup for today.
We have just started to see a little rain here in Napa. The air is beginning to cool, and the nights are becoming steadily darker and colder. Autumn has always been my favorite season! The colors begin to change (although, now that I’m in Napa and not Minnesota, the fact that we’re about to go green still seems completely backwards…), the light changes, and everything starts to feel just a little bit more magical.
We had the sweetest golden retriever puppy staying with us for the last few days named Brooklyn, who, while she was with us, got to experience her very first rain! She was so confused and excited by the water falling from the sky that it was hard not to get completely swept up in her enthusiasm. We took a long walk after the rain had stopped, and she just couldn’t stop sniffing the breeze, the plants, and the ground. Everything seemed brand new again.
As it gets darker earlier and earlier, we start craving warm fall meals over here. Pot roasts, mashed potatoes, rich and warm baked dishes, and stews, our cravings have already started to change! This week, neither of us is dying for a bright and fresh salad, grilled vegetables, or fresh salsas and guacamoles; we want things that are heavier, richer, and comforting. Despite that, we’re still trying to eat well, so we’re turning our cravings for warm, rich, and potentially fattening foods in to ideas like super healthy soup recipes.
There just aren’t many things nicer on a chilly fall evening than than a cozy blanket and a warm and filling bowl of perfect carrot soup.
A truly delicious carrot soup is one of the best healthy soup recipes to have in your arsenal for a beautiful fall or winter day. Available year-round and usually inexpensive, a few carrots can go a long way. They’re healthy, sweet, delicious, and so easy to use, plus you can find them in pretty much any store in your area.
This soup is made even better with the addition of a sweet potato (or yam). Besides great flavor, the bright orange flesh adds color to the soup as well as body, and it also ramps up the health factor! This is one of those healthy soup recipes that packs a huge nutritional punch. Between the carrots, the sweet potato, the coconut, turmeric, the pickled peppers, and the sunflower seeds, it’s hard to imagine a bowl with more nutrition than this one!
If you want to make your own pickled jalapeños, which I really recommend that you do, there’s a recipe for pickled jalapeños right here. It’s really simple to make your own, and the flavor is just so much better than any prepackaged brand I’ve found yet. You only need a few ingredients, and this recipe just couldn’t be easier. Give it a try! I bet you’ll be glad you did.
Healthy Soup Recipes: The Absolute Best Healthy Carrot Soup
- 1 # carrots, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 orange yam or sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 Tbs coconut oil (or other neutral oil)
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili flake
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- salt, pepper
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 Tbs pickled jalapeños (see above)
- 1 Tbs sunflower seeds
- Basil and/or mint leaves to garnish
- In a soup pot over low heat, warm the coconut oil and add the onions. Cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the turmeric and chili and sauté on low for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, water, carrots, and sweet potato with a generous pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper, making sure the liquids cover the carrots and potatoes (add more water if necessary).
- Bring the soup to a boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until carrots and potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree until smooth, in batches if necessary. Go ahead and really puree the soup, making sure that it's velvety and smooth (pass or strain through a fine mesh strainer for a really smooth soup!)
- Return to the heat and make sure your soup is warm. Turn off the heat and stir in the lime juice. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice. Garnish with jalapeños, sunflower seeds, basil and/or mint leaves, and enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links!