Rice bowl recipes rock!
As promised, here is the unbelievably yummy and super healthy Donburi-style rice bowl (part 2), one of the best rice bowl recipes in the world! It’s one of those ridiculously nutritious rice bowl recipes with vibrantly exciting flavors from pickled vegetables, pickled mushrooms, seaweed salad, cabbage, scallions, sesame, and more, plus a sunny-side-up egg with a perfectly runny yolk that becomes this creamy and amazing sauce for the rice. It’s gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free, and truly awesome!
You can find all of the side recipes for this rice bowl (plus more rice bowl recipes) throughout the blog if you want to make everything yourself, which is pretty much always the best way! You can, of course, buy your ingredients separately if that’s easier for you. If you can’t find what you’re looking for locally, Amazon offers a huge variety of pickled mushrooms, pickled ginger (I love this brand), and they even have good sushi rice!
As for me, I’m off to spend a week visiting my sister and her awesome boyfriend in New York, so it’s time to get packed! Do any of you have awesome ideas for amazingly fun things to do in NY? What do you think I shouldn’t miss?
Amazing Rice Bowl Recipes: The Absolute Best Donburi-Style Rice Bowl
- 1 cup sushi rice (or short-grain rice)
- 1.25 cups cold water, plus more for soaking and rinsing
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt (optional - many people are against salting rice for recipes like this one, but I love a little salt)
- ½ cup pickled carrots and radishes (see above)
- ½ cup pickled mushrooms (see above)
- ¼ cup seaweed salad (see above)
- 2 Tbs pickled ginger
- 1 cup + ½ cup Napa or Savoy cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup mushrooms (like shiitake, maiitake, or button), separated or thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs neutral oil
- 1 Tbs Tamari (or soy sauce)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 4 ea sunny-side-up eggs (see above) (1 per person)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds, toasted
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water and place in a bowl. Cover with cold water and let sit for 10 min. Rinse the rice again until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice and 1.25 cups cold water in a pot (with a generous pinch of salt, if using). Bring to a boil, cover, and turn off. Let sit, undisturbed (don't remove the lid!) for 25 minutes.
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Super gently, fold the vinegar/sugar into the rice, being careful not to break the rice grains.
- Heat a sauté pan and add the oil. When hot, add 1 cup shredded cabbage and mix, adding 1 Tbs water if the cabbage sticks to the pan. When the cabbage is wilted, add the mushrooms and soy sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sesame oil and 1 Tbs sliced scallions.
- Place the rice in a bowl and top with a sunny-side-up egg, pickled vegetables, pickled mushrooms, seaweed salad, cabbage mix, shredded cabbage, scallions, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds. Break the yolk into the rice, mix the flavors together, and enjoy!
Looking for more beautifully healthy rice bowl recipes? Check out the
*This post may contain affiliate links!