After a truly amazing dinner in celebration of my sister’s awesome boyfriend (just because they couldn’t join us in person, why not celebrate the day?), we were lucky enough to leave my parent’s house with a serious chunk of leftover steak. After being used for such a decadent dinner, this steak was absolutely begging to be made into a salad. A sexy, protein-heavy salad with blue cheese, shaved asparagus, and some of those easy homemade pickled red onions we made the other day. This steak salad was insanely good. Bright, fresh, and crunchy, but with a cool and creamy gorgonzola dressing to balance out the dish.
I’ve got to say, nobody celebrates a birthday like my family! (At least not from a food perspective.) In honor of the day, Dad served thinly-sliced grilled Chateaubriand piled high right in grilled portobello mushroom caps. He served it with grilled fresh asparagus (it’s that season!!!) and his signature foil-wrapped, thinly sliced potatoes that are just beyond killer good. We topped the steak with some compound butter that we threw together with shallots, mustard, sherry vinegar, and tons of fresh herbs. Delicious!
Thank goodness we managed to save the raw steak from the surprise poodle attack that very nearly destroyed it… Never turn your back on a poodle! It was pretty awesome: Charlotte went for the Chateaubriand just as we were hitting the final note of “Happy Birthday” on our Skype call. You couldn’t have timed it any more perfectly.
Never turn your back on a poodle! Click To Tweet
So the steak we couldn’t finish just had to wind up in another seriously yummy dish. This steak salad recipe seemed absolutely perfect! Bright red and slightly bitter radicchio, crumbled gorgonzola, zippy radish slices, cool shaved cucumber, thinly sliced raw asparagus, and a creamy gorgonzola dressing made this one heck of a happy salad.
Irresistible Steak Salad with Shaved Asparagus and Gorgonzola
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (homemade or purchased)
- ¼ cup sour cream (full fat is best, but you can use low-fat or fat-free)
- ¼ cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 2-3 dashes tabasco
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 6-8 oz grilled steak, thinly sliced
- 4-6 asparagus spears, thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 2-3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 head raddicio, torn
- ¼ cup pickled red onion, drained
- 2-3 Tbs crumbled gorgonzola
- pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly, taste, and adjust seasoning. If you prefer a thinner dressing, add more lemon juice or warm water, a little at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Either combine all of the ingredients and toss with dressing, or carefully lay out each ingredient, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and then drizzle with dressing.
Looking for more healthy salads?
Want some healthy dinner recipes?
You might also be in the mood for Romantic Seared Scallops, Petrale Sole with Celery Root Puree and Black Lentils, or the Simple Spicy Citrus Chicken Breast! Of course, you might also want to check out this Total Miracle High-Protein, Low-Carb Pizza Recipe…