Oh, man. These loaded sweet potato fries were one of those seriously awesome healthy snack ideas that just make you feel happy! Smothered with melted cheese, spicy with fresh jalapenos, plus creamy avocado and sour cream and crispy fresh radishes made this snack addictively amazing!
It’s always good to have a few easy and fantastic healthy snack ideas stashed away in your back pocket just in case friends stop by or there’s some kind of game on TV that would be improved by a big pile of melty awesomeness. This is exactly that sort of surprise hit that people absolutely go crazy over. So addictive, you just can’t stop snacking on it until every last bite is gone.
Sweet potato fries are consistently at the top of my list of secret weapon snacks. Easy, inexpensive, always super popular, and so healthy! People are always happy to see a big pile of sweet potato fries, and they bake so well you never need to deal with deep frying them!
The awesome dude is a huge baseball fan, so now that the season has begun, it’s time to step up my snack game. We are definitely addicted to all things melted cheese and anything spicy, so these are just perfect to satisfy our cravings. Plus, avocados are so incredible right now. Big, fat, luscious, and vibrantly green, they just beg to be chosen every time we run to the store.
One of the reasons that these fries are so fun to make over here is the fact that I can pull some of these ingredients right out of the garden! I have these amazing radishes growing out back that are incredibly pink and perfect and filled with peppery crispness. Plus, now that I’ve started regrowing scallions (so easy! You just keep the end in water and a new one grows right out of the base of the old one!) we always have at least a few bright green scallions growing on the kitchen windowsill.
With all of these fresh flavors plus the melty cheese and rich sour cream, these fries were a huge hit! Baked, not fried, and smothered with seriously good-for-you bright and fresh flavors. It’s one of those healthy snack ideas that wound up being way better than any fried or heavy alternative!
I’m so in love with regrowing produce from kitchen scraps. It wasn’t something that had really crossed my mind until everyone started posting about it online (and pinning ideas and links all over Pinterest), but it really is insanely easy! There are a ton of scraps that you probably normally just toss that will actually grow fresh produce right from the base, often just in a little water! Scallions, celery, romaine, and so many other options. It’s such a cool and rewarding project!
Healthy Snack Ideas: Phenomenally Yummy Loaded Sweet Potato Fries!
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili flake (I used Aleppo)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (feel free to substitute your favorite cheese or cheese substitute)
- 2 Tbs sour cream
- ½ avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thinly
- 1 radish, sliced thinly
- 1-2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Peel the sweet potato
- Cut it in half
- Cut each half into approx. ½" thick slices.
- Cut into the size fries you want
- Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili flakes
- Spread evenly in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Turn over all of the fries
- Bake for 10 more minutes, until the outside looks a little puffy and the fries are done through the middle.
- Taste, and sprinkle a little more salt over if they need it.
- Stack on an oven-safe plate, cover with melted cheese, and return to the oven until cheese melts 3-6 minutes.
- Drizzle with sour cream, scatter radishes, avocado, jalapeño, and scallions over. Squeeze lime juice over the top and serve with extra lime wedges. Enjoy!
Looking for more healthy snack ideas? You might like
If you’re as big a fan of sweet potatoes as I am, you might also be interested in the