All I want is a room somewhere…
No. That’s not true. All I want is spaghetti with a creamy tomato pasta sauce. Rich and creamy (but not too creamy) with a kick of spice and heat, deep and acidic with tomatoes and red wine, giant shavings of parmesan, freshly cracked black pepper…
I got pretty lucky this time. Before he left, my sister’s awesome boyfriend entrusted me with a hunk of gluten-free pasta dough that was leftover from the insanely yummy eggplant lasagna he had made that evening. We miss him when he leaves! For those of you who aren’t simply gifted with homemade gluten-free pasta dough out of the blue, I have a seriously good recipe for homemade gluten-free pasta that actually works! It’s actually really easy and awesome with any sauce, particularly a good tomato pasta sauce.
Not in the mood? Go ahead and use packaged pasta. Just make sure to follow the directions for cooking it! GF pasta varies widely with cooking time and technique; it’s worth it to take a look. Some are ready in just a couple of minutes, some take more than 10 minutes, and for some, you get the best texture by boiling it for one minute, turning off the heat, covering it, and letting it sit for almost 20 minutes more! I’ve tested a ton of brands, and following the cooking directions on gf pasta really does make a difference. Check your packages, ladies and gentlemen.
This dish was all about the tomato pasta sauce. Rich, creamy, silky, spicy, salty, nutty, acidic… It was epic. If you’re looking at a day that’s maybe a little chilly or dark, this might be just what the doctor ordered. It’s not light, but there are so many vitamins and nutrients here that this totally counts as a healthy pasta dish. Plus, if you want to make this meal even healthier, you might want to serve it with this fresh and light feel-good citrus and avocado salad or maybe the citrus carpaccio with avocado and pomegranate seeds.
If you want, you can totally leave out the dairy and make it vegan. This particular tomato pasta sauce will still have all of the garlic-y, red wine-y awesomeness. On the other hand, you’ll lose some of that rich and decadent dirty fun…
Oh! If you want those big, wide parmesan shavings, you can just use a vegetable peeler!
Spicy, Creamy, Rich, and Decadent Tomato Pasta Sauce with Fresh Homemade Gluten Free Pasta
- 1 batch homemade pasta dough (or packaged pasta, prepared according to package instructions)
- 2 tsp olive oil or butter
- 1 12 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¼ tsp dried chili flakes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt, pepper
- freshly grated or shaved parmesan, good quality salt, freshly cracked black pepper, olive oil
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil
- Carefully add the past to the water.
- Cook until the pasta is tender, 2-6 min, depending on thickness
- Drain and toss with olive oil or butter, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the oil over a medium low heat in a saute pan.
- Add the chili flakes and garlic and saute until garlic is soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 more minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Raise the heat and add the red wine.
- Cook until the wine is reduced almost to a glaze.
- Add the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
- Cook until the sauce is thick and most of the liquid is reduced.
- Lower the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Plate the pasta, cover with the sauce, and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
Looking for another fun recipe? You might like chickpeas with spicy tomato sauce!
You might also want be interested in the incredibly easy homemade limoncello recipe, if you’re looking for an incredible way to finish your Italian meal…