This was a day for banana bread.
A day for moist, gooey, dense, best-banana-bread-ever. Something simple. A healthy and gluten-free bread that I could use to get free up a little space in the freezer!
I had one of those happy moments where I realized that I was absolutely dying for some fresh, warm banana bread, like the best banana bread ever maybe, looked up, and noticed that nearly the entire bunch of bananas sitting on top of the fridge were wildly overripe and brown! Not only that, but we also have a freezer with stacks of little baggies with sliced bananas in them. Bananas freeze really well, so it’s incredibly simple to have them on hand for bread, muffins (I love these cinnamon chocolate chip mini muffins!), smoothies, and even easy homemade ice cream! The simplest way to deal with extra bananas is to peel them, slice them up a little, and then put them in baggies in the freezer. Since I’ve been playing around with a lot of new recipes lately, I also happened to be well stocked on a lot of the basic gf flours as well as a whole bunch of other stuff, and everything fell into place! Fresh, warm, moist, crumbly gluten-free forever best banana bread!
If you’re looking to start doing a lot of gf recipes with flour substitutions, I recommend keeping the following flours on hand: brown rice, white rice, potato starch, and tapioca flour. I can usually find these for $3-$8 per bag. If you want to be in an even better place, I recommend grabbing some xanthan gum and psyllium husk, but these are a little harder to find and a lot more expensive. However, most recipes don’t call for much of either of those two, so a small amount will get you through a lot of recipes! Having these flours on hand really simplifies things when you suddenly decide that you want to make a batch of homemade gluten-free pasta as well!
This banana bread was seriously the best banana bread imaginable. The bananas and sour cream made it incredibly moist and dense, but it was still soft and crumbly and browned well without any extra steps! It was also really simple and came together quickly. Perfect for an unplanned treat!
Warm, Gooey, Crumbly Gluten-Free Sour Cream Best Banana Bread Ever
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 medium bananas (or 3 large), very ripe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream with a mixer. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat again until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Because this is a gf bread, it won't really matter if you beat the ingredients too much, so just relax and get everything all mixed together. Once everything is combined, you're done!
- Stir in the bananas and sour cream and beat until combined. Let the ingredients sit for a good 10 minutes to allow the wet ingredients to really combine well with the flours.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Try to let it cool before slicing, but it will smell so inviting you might not be able to!